Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year

Hi there everyone! I just got a kick in the behind, and it seems to have propelled me to the blogosphere. I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgivings and Passovers and Christmases and Kwanzaas and whatever other holidays you celebrated. Is there anyone out there who did NOT overindulge? Just remember to own what you do and what you eat. If you ate too many cookies, like I did, I hope you enjoyed them! (I did!)


I am not one of those people who relishes the beginning of a new year. I tend not to see the opportunities that lie ahead, and I never make resolutions. Instead, I am more likely to reflect on the things I did or did not accomplish the previous year. When I took stock of 2010, I realized that it really was a year of change for me. I lost sixty pounds! That's huge. (pun intended) But I should have lost more. Why didn't I lose as much as I planned? Food. I like to eat, and I like to eat "bad food." The recent holidays brought a lot of baking and entertaining and food gifts into my life. I'm a sucker for holiday-themed goodies. There was too much temptation for me to resist. So, I gave in. Until a few days ago, I was AWOL.


After at least a month, I finally stepped on the scale again. (The battery died and I kept forgetting to get a new one.)  Yes, I gained. No, I didn't gain a lot. Yes, I have already lost three of the nine pounds I gained since Halloween. No, I'm not fretting about it. I used to gain and lose ten pounds all the time! Seriously, every pound was worth it... I'm a great baker, and the cookies were fantastic... not to mention the Belgian chocolates that kept turning up at work... But now the tree is away and the decorations are down, and I am spending a bit more time thinking about what goes into my mouth. I am also paying attention to the relationship between food/exercise and results on the scale. 


Interestingly enough, to me at least, is the fact that I WANT to get back to losing weight. I think I found my mojo! I think I figured out why I have found motivation again. When I lost what I will call the "first sixty," I was smaller than I'd been in a LONG time. Jeans fit again, work clothes fit, etc. Having spent the past few months relatively static in the weight department, I am now used to this weight. Instead of feeling skinny, I just feel ... fat. I never realized how happy I'd be to feel fat! Now I have a new starting point. I will lose weight from this point, not from the original starting point. My challenges and goals seem to be more manageable and less threatening this way. 150 is not nearly as far away as it was back in June.


Onward and downward! I plan to see that ticker start moving again soon. 


Happy New You.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! Glad you are back blogging!

    ReplyDelete