Sunday, July 18, 2010

Oh, Beast!

I HATE the word obese.  It sounds ugly and greasy.  I glare at everyone who uses the "O" word, especially "normal weight" people.  What was wrong with the other words?  Chubby, chunky, porky, fatty... Why did we have to resort to using a word that carries stigma and bigotry in its oily unctuousness?  

Discrimination against fat people is pervasive in our society.  Nancy Snyderman appears on the Today show and tells people that overweight employees are expensive and risky.  Commercials appear on TV heralding the dangers of childhood ohbeastity.  Some day I expect to leave my house to find a mob of villagers with torches and pitchforks ready to run me out of town.  I want to tell people to be patient with me.  Totally overhauling one's lifestyle is a difficult and lengthy process.  And another thing... I'm quitting my fatness, when will you quit smoking?

No comments:

Post a Comment