Thursday, October 14, 2010

Status Report

I am off scale this week (house sitting again, yea!) and loving life. I am doing reasonably well in staying active and eating right. I know I haven't written here as much as I would like, but that is mostly because I have been so dang busy. The cooler fall weather means that life speeds up again here in FL. There's just so much going on these days!

I do have some updates to report. The person who came to me a month ago wanting help with an eating and fitness plan is making tremendous progress! She went to a doctor's appointment this week and weighed in at 12 pounds less than her previous visit. That was a great moment of win for her! I am happy for her as well. It is very gratifying to be able to make such a difference in someone's life. She tells me she has more energy than ever, has fewer joint pains, and sleeps like a rock. Sounds good to me!

My friend who quit smoking... is still quit! It is great to be around her and not smell that ashtray odor. I am amazed at how much time is lost to cigarette breaks and how much time is gained when a person quits. I'm glad I was able to be a positive influence in my friend's life.
 ______________________________
My current goal is to recapture some of the selfish attention I paid to myself over the summer. Back then I did such a great job of pushing myself toward my goals. My energy really slipped when other people turned to me for help. I got so involved in helping them that I forgot to maintain my own program of change. I am slowly but surely turning that positive energy back toward myself. Although it is wonderful to motivate other people, we need to be sure to save some of that motivation for ourselves. In some ways it's like being a caregiver. Of course it's nice to care for other people and to help them through rough patches, but we need protect ourselves from paying too great a cost. I haven't really stopped helping them, but I have started making progress toward helping myself. I'm not sure why it amuses me so much, but I often think to myself... "I'm dancing as fast as I can!"

Here's to those of us who have to wait to take care of ourselves until after we take care of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment